Gratitude Elusive

As is our custom each year, my Goodman and I sat together and talked about what we are thankful for this year. Can I be honest and say, it was hard to come up with? This has been a year. Fight after fight, struggle after struggle. An uphill battle. We mentioned the givens: our family, our marriage, our church, but when we looked back over the year, the difficulties were tough to see past. Whew. So many victories, so much hard fought ground covered, but really what can I say I am thankful for right now if I was to be asked?

I thought about it and this is what I came up with: through all this year and years gone by I am so very thankful for Jesus. Not being corny here. I'm so serious. Had I not been held up by the hope that lives in me, Christ in me, the hope of glory, I would be a sorry individual. I would not have made it, I tell you that with a certainty. On my darkest days, He shines a beacon that keeps me going, trudging onward. Secondly, there's my man, my partner, my love. During these battles when I glance over to where he's fighting, and I see him busting heads I am encouraged to fight all the harder. This partnership isn't all about rose petals and champagne, but battle scars and shared war stories.


Life is hard, I don't always get what I want, when I want it, how I want it. There is much injustice in the world and there are struggles that my family endures that don't seem fair. I don't even claim to try to know the whys or the hows, the important thing is that I have a relationship with the only Who that matters, and that is the sole fact that brings gratitude right up close and personal.

2 Corinthians 4:16-18 So we’re not giving up. How could we! Even though on the outside it often looks like things are falling apart on us, on the inside, where God is making new life, not a day goes by without his unfolding grace. These hard times are small potatoes compared to the coming good times, the lavish celebration prepared for us. There’s far more here than meets the eye. The things we see now are here today, gone tomorrow. But the things we can’t see now will last forever.

Comments

Popular Posts