So Good

When I was in college there was a required course for all freshmen students. They covered a variety of subjects from date rape to time management. To get our attention, for an object lesson on stress, the professor took a handful of rubber bands and as she named a situation, she stretched a band and placed it around her forehead. Pretty soon it was a mess, all scrunched up and her hair sticky out willy nilly and her forehead lined with stressors. Its been over 15 years and I still remember that every time things start stacking up on me.

There are times in life when it feels as if all of the world has rested itself on your shoulders. It seems like I spend more time trying to find a place of peace in the midst of chaos more than I used to. But last week I came to a breaking point. I got in my car and started driving. Originally I had planned to belt it out to Alanis or what have you, but the only music in my car was an old Corey Asbury CD. So I turned it up and just kept driving. I drove around the edges of the city, out to the country, back to places I used to live once upon a time. I'd like to say I prayed, but it was more of a rant and then I really just waited for Him to talk to me. I had this picture in my head of when I was a little girl and I'd had a bad day and couldn't take it anymore, so I just went to my momma and let her know how sad and mad and disappointed I was and she would just stroke my hair and hold me.

God does the same with His children. Then, when I started to feel it all leaving, all the heaviness, all the disappointment, all the how's this ever gonna work out? the song, So Good to Me came on. In case you don't know the lyrics, check it out.


Its an old song, but my spirit responded to it. It was as if, by reminding myself of how good He has been to me I could rise up out of the mire I felt like I was in. Are all my problems whisked away? Nah. But He's still good. And when I look back at all the times He has brought me through I can breath a little easier knowing He's not about to stop now.

Comments

Popular Posts