Safe

Sometimes it feels like you're not safe anywhere anymore. Car accidents, natural disasters, school shootings, church shootings, home invasions, the list goes on and on. There is risk and potential danger everywhere you look. Fear can seem to surround you at times. Whether it is the fear of calamity or the reminder of what has happened before and could possibly happen again.

I've shared before about how my youngest daughter was in a car accident in December. I thought nothing of it putting her in the car and buckling her up to take her to the store with me again. We talked about the accident when it happened but it didn't seem to have rattled her too much. And yet, when the car swerves too quickly or we rumble over a bumpy patch in the road, she can't help herself but to cry out. It grips my mommy heart every time it happens because I see that she is still in the midst of healing. That fear that loomed up before her at the time of the accident envelopes her again and she has to push through. The bumps give way to smooth road and the swerve straightens itself back out.

Its not any different with me. I can allow fear to paralyze me and keep me from ever getting back out there. Or I can choose to stand up and walk back into the fight. There are so many times I just want to cover my head and pray that things blow over. I don't want to face the giant. I don't want to stand up to my terrors. But in it I have to remember that I'm not alone in the battle.

Psalm 139:7-12 says:
Is there anyplace I can go to avoid your Spirit?
    to be out of your sight?
If I climb to the sky, you’re there!
    If I go underground, you’re there!
If I flew on morning’s wings
    to the far western horizon,
You’d find me in a minute—
    you’re already there waiting!
Then I said to myself, “Oh, he even sees me in the dark!
    At night I’m immersed in the light!”
It’s a fact: darkness isn’t dark to you;
    night and day, darkness and light, they’re all the same to you.
  In His hands I am safe. With my God as my champion I am sure of victory. This is the foundation on which I can stand without fear of the unknown.


Comments

Popular Posts