Take it Easy...

Knowing that I'm not the only one, I have been doing a lot of thinking about the things that really matter. You know, like how many presents I put under the tree, how immaculately decorated my house is for Christmas, how many new cookie recipes I can try.


Between Pinterest and all the decorating, cooking, parenting, good wife advice, etc. blogs out there I get lost. There is always something out there that can leave me feeling like I haven't done enough. Make your own laundry detergent and give your family a natural way to clean clothes while saving money on the budget. Bake cookies for my children's lunches. Sew my own curtains. Raise chickens. Create memories with my children through awesome read aloud times. The list is endless.

All this fitting in to my 24 hours. I have a full time job outside of my home. I have six children, two are in college which is actually more work than I thought it would be, two are teenage girls, I don't even have to explain what work is entailed in that, and two are under 10 years old. Between reminding people to brush their teeth and hair and making sure homework is done, I feel like there are few times I'm not ordering people around. Its like being the captain of a ship in a storm, "You there, look lively and batten down those hatches! You, strike the mainsail!" And then it all ends with a story, and a prayer, and a kiss good night as we all separate for a good nights sleep to get up and do it all over again.

I lay in bed many a night thinking about all the things we're not doing and I'm gonna go ahead and blame it on what I let influence me. The requirements of a mommy are enough without adding in structured play time and a reading list for the next 12 years of development. Its a battle to not feel guilty.


So, I'm trying hard to let things go. Relax. Breathe. Take a step back and think, is this really important? Would anybody notice if I didn't do it that way? Instead of gulping up life and running off to the next event, I'm gonna take my time and chew for a minute, savoring the day that has been gifted to me.

Comments

Popular Posts