11.26.2015

Great - ful

When I was a little girl we always had a huge Thanksgiving Day feast at my grandparent's house. There are a few years tucked in here and there in my memory when I celebrated at my dad's house or what have you but basically, every year has melded into one huge memory of turkey dinner with Papa Ivan and Grandma Johnnie. The cousins would be there and everybody would crowd around the table and my mom would try to snap a picture of Papa bent down pulling the humongous turkey out of the oven. I'm not kidding, and I'm sure your family has some quirky family traditions too...This same woman would try to get us all to share something we were thankful for.

 
I remember there was this moment when as I was looking around at all of us stuffing our faces and laughing and creating crazy memories and it hit me like a load of bricks, "Its not always gonna be this way."

And its true, oh so true. The cousins and me, we grew up and had kids and stuff. Parents got older and grandparents go on. Just this past year, we lost a dear cousin and uncle. Things change.

Here in my own house its happening. I sit around with my babies and think, "Its not always gonna be this way." They are all growing up way too fast and meeting new people to bring home to my table and I've become the old parent. Josh and I became the "responsible" ones somehow. He cooks the turkey and I never try to snap a picture of him taking it out of the oven. Sometimes we fight at the table and act all ungrateful and junk. Feelings get hurt and mean things are said. But at the same time, we're making memories here. We are filling bellies and hearts and loving real life people.

So just for my momma, who would ask me if she were here to celebrate with me today, I'm so thankful for this life I've been given. The crazy people God picked to put around me, the road I get to walk. Because even on the worst days, it is still so Great.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...