The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

It all comes to all of us. No one is immune to the affects of living in this broken world. Last week my father in law, brother in law, and two family friends were in a terrible car accident in the Dominican Republic where they are serving as missionaries. It was one of those events where you look at the wreckage and you shake your head because there is just no way that anyone would have survived. But they all did! My little brother in law walked away without a scratch. The other three were seriously injured yet God has been doing His miraculous work on their bodies and we stand amazed at His goodness.

Mama said there'd be days like this...

The weekend prior to the accident I had a dream. At the time, I was confused about what it could mean but as we got word and my husband rushed to his daddy's side, I had complete understanding of what God was telling me. Once again He sent reassurance that everything was going to be ok even though it would be easy to think otherwise. Over the course of the week, we were overwhelmed by the encouragement, prayers, practical needs being met, and generally the rallying together of community to lift these wounded ones up.

In the midst of things like this it is our tendency to hunker down and take care of the necessary things. Prayer comes to the forefront of our lives and as we talk more to our Father, we tend to ask questions. Why? Why? WHY?!? I'm always alarmed by my own tendency to question God when He isn't obligated to answer me, and I probably still wouldn't understand anyway.

James 1:2-3 My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials,  knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience. 

Trials shouldn't be a surprise. They should be expected. That by no means makes it easy though. What I think is the awesomeness of the faith of my father in law and his friends. As they recover they speak nothing but confidence in the goodness of God. I am fortunate to have such amazing examples in my life, you guys are my heroes!

1 Peter 4:12-13 Beloved, do not think it strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened to you; but rejoice to the extent that you partake of Christ’s sufferings, that when His glory is revealed, you may also be glad with exceeding joy.

Personally, I had an experience recently that made me want to tuck tail and hide. There are some things that I do for the Lord that I'm comfortable with and others that are out of my comfort zone. When I step out I expect that I will encounter uncomfortable situations and so I prepare myself. But this, this was completely out of nowhere and it shook me. Probably more than it should have, but hey, we're being honest here. My natural reaction would be to stop doing what I'm doing because I encountered some resistance. But that's not how God expects me to behave. Keep moving forward, keep taking ground, keep doing what God has asked me to do. Don't give up no matter what!

  Romans 5:2-5 through whom also we have access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God. And not only that, but we also glory in tribulations, knowing that tribulation produces perseverance; and perseverance, character; and character, hope. Now hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out in our hearts by the Holy Spirit who was given to us.

Comments

Popular Posts