Think Small

 
The past few weeks have seemed to whirl by with hurricane force ferocity. Two birthdays, school field trips, in-laws in town, church, church, work, school, homework, and on and on and on. These are my least favorite times. I get to the point where there is so much going on and I'm overwhelmed and can't even gather my thoughts together long enough to figure out where to start working. I'm dragged on by the current.

 
It is precisely times such as these that make me stop and think, that is when I have a moment of quiet to catch them, and in all of my busyness I contemplate, what really matters? When I was young and full of dreams I thought I was gonna change the world. I was going to make a name for myself and affect tons of people and yay Amber! I had big plans. Growing up I was bombarded with encouragements that I could do anything I set my mind to do. Follow your dreams! Go and make disciples of ALL nations. Dream big! Good suggestions all, but in my zeal I focused on the all and the big and when they seemed out of reach, I ignored what was right here in my own house, in my own church, in my own city. God forbid that it is all part of God's plan for my life to live right here with these ordinary people and make the difference that only I can make. If I really believe that my life has purpose, why does the plan always have to be full of glitz and glamor and any where but here God! My heart had a hard time reining itself in to the changing of the 7 lives who live with me day to day. Seeing my coworkers and my own neighbors and those I come into contact with all the time and shining a steady light for them to see. I can glow big and bright for short periods of time, but what about the long haul, how are my batteries then?


Last night my oldest and I were talking about our broken television. This is the second time that our large screen has been out of commission and daddy and I were thinking that maybe we should just roll with it and get rid of cable and blah blah blah. My son interjects with this statement, "There you guys go again, always so over the top." You know I'm really enjoying this new perspective Tony brings to my life. Nobody else could probably point out the things he can. He's been with us as we glean through our DVD closet and start a new health program and pledge to ride our bikes in to work. He's also seen us buy all new DVDs and eat nachos in bed at 11 pm and you get the picture. Its not about the drama its about the continuity. Don't be afraid to think small and then stick with it.

Comments

Popular Posts