The "Real" Classics

You all know about my love of literature, and also then of my recent return to the love of the vintage books of my childhood. I neglect a very important genre with not writing about my love affair with the Christian bookstore. My mom took us to the bookstore with her quite frequently and it stood out from other stores in my little kid perspective. The walls were adorned with beautiful paintings, my absolute favorite being one of a glowing Jesus standing beside a garden wall knocking on an elaborate wooden door. Soft music floated on the air and it had the semblance of the library in the fact that one did not want to run or speak above a hushed whisper. It even smelled different to me. I had the suspicion that the back door really opened into heaven, it was that otherworldly.


I recently rediscovered some of my old Bible story books, and Emari asked me to read a few to her this morning. As I read aloud to her and she snuggled into my shoulder I was transported back, to the innocence of the times before. When those stories were just as exciting as Dr. Seuss and Snow White. The magic of it all was that I knew these stories were TRUE! Those stories began my own journey, this relationship that has stood the test of times unlike any other in my life. Emari had so many observations and important questions about Baby Moses and Jesus on the cross and the Parable of wedding banquet. I realized that she learns at church, and she learns at school, and I try my best to teach her from my example at home, yet I had neglected introducing her personally to this whole world of the real classics of literature. The villains, the heroes, the struggles, and victories!


Its not enough that she hears it elsewhere. She needs to hear it from me, to introduce her to all of my favorites and embark on this journey for herself...

Comments

Popular Posts