Tiny Dancer


This week has been one crazy ride! For those of you not in the know, we celebrated my husband's fortieth birthday last night. We are really elegant so we turned off the lights, splattered some paint on the walls, dressed in retro 80's costume, served pizza rolls and white castle burgers, all while we sang karaoke. This so wouldn't have happened without some amazing people running the show and Josh had a blast. He told me it was his best party ever and he was really overwhelmed by all the people who came out to help us celebrate him. You guys are like totally rad ok...



Permeating all of this joyful celebration has been some pretty dizzying busyness in our house. Two weeks ago, I went back to work at the school and my four youngest returned to their studies as well. Zion, my baby, began Pre-K and I'm still trying to swallow the enormity of that. Then last week Rebecca Lynn, my first girl baby started college and I gotta tell you, driving away from her standing there in front of the school was just as difficult as walking Zion to class. The turmoils of a mother's heart! Tony left to return to UNCSA on Thursday and the only thing that has kept me from crumpling into a heap of utter mush has been my exhaustion and busyness. I know that later on this week, as all of the family returns to their homes in Texas and the Dominican Republic, its all gonna come crashing down and I'm gonna need a trip to the beach or something to keep from going completely bonkers.

I remember when I was a little girl and my great ambition was to grow up to become a famous ballerina. One of the things I longed to do was the elaborate spins those gifted dancers can accomplish. I learned that you can't just spin around and around, its not that easy and you will fall down or get out of control if you don't know what you are doing. Its a technique called spotting. The goal of spotting is to attain a constant orientation of the dancer's head and eyes in order to enhance the dancer's control and prevent dizziness. ( I took that definition from wikipedia)

You know I never reached my goal, but I do utilize the technique anyway. As my life rolls onward and I execute the choreography laid out before me, I must throw in some fancy spins and turns. Without proper technique however, I can get out of control or get dizzy from the pace. The key is to fix my eyes upon a singular point and allow my body to spin and spin all the while not taking my eyes off that point. Huh, crazy idea this keeping focused on one point and not allowing things to throw us into a tizzy. That's the saving grace of following Jesus. He's the one unchanging and unmovable thing in my life and keeping my eyes trained on Him, I can handle all this crazy go go go.

Comments

Popular Posts