Always, Continually & In All Things

1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.
 Gosh I wish those instructions were for eating, or shopping, or vacationing, but unfortunately they are not. They apply most directly to my life on a day to day basis and really come into play when the going gets tough. You know those days when it feels like you've taken up residence on the dark side of the moon. Being happy is easy when life is going well. But people let me tell you, life is filled with not so good days.

I absolutely love laying in bed in the middle of the night and everyone else in my house is sound asleep and its almost like you can breathe in the contentment its so thick. Those nights don't come very often.

I've thanked God for the most ridiculous things like my newborn sleeping for ten more minutes, I've prayed that the light would turn green, I've rejoiced when McDonald's messed up my order and felt compelled to hand me a hot apple pie for my trouble. But what about when my marriage was broken, when the doctors were speaking the "C" word over my child's body, or I wasn't sure if the bills were going to get paid. Its not as easy then, is it? Those are the times that Paul's words strike home. Always, continually, in all things. Those instructions carry you through in the hard times.
Philippians 4:4-7 Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Comments

Popular Posts