Book Review: Bread and Wine

I stumbled upon author, Shauna Niequist, on one of my frequent searches for good things to read. I'm so very glad that I did find her because it opened up an opportunity for me to read an advanced copy of her new book, Bread and Wine: A Love Letter to Life Around the Table With Recipes.


From the moment I opened the book, I was hooked. My husband is the cook in our house, but we love having guests over and sharing our home and lives with others. Reading Shauna's words felt like I was reading my own life story. There is not one thing that she shared that I have not experienced the feeling of myself. Each chapter is an essay of a moment captured with family and friends and lessons learned around the table. Most culminate in a recipe as well.



The thing I loved most about this book was its realistic perspective. I felt like I was right there, enjoying the tasty food, the laughter, the wine. The stories grab your heart because they could be anyone's story. Everyone has those foods that bring us back to our childhoods, vacations long ago, comfort foods that help us through the hard times and celebrations that remind us that its all really worth the struggle.

Comments

Unknown said…
Thanks so much, Amber--what a lovely post! :) --Shauna

Popular Posts