Blessed and Highly Favored

On my way to church this Sunday, I was struck by a remembrance of words I've read many, many times over.

And Mary said, "Behold, the bondslave of the Lord: may it be done to me according to your word."

This young girl had just been informed that her life was going to be turned upside down, all her plans changed, her goals adjusted. God had seen her, chosen her to bring forth His own Son. Seems pretty awesome at first look, but she didn't know all that would come, she simply said, Ok. This was not an easy thing that God was requiring of her, and the crazy thing is that He handpicked her because she was just the right one for the job. She was gonna get married and lead a normal life, but oh no, not anymore. The death threats began, the running for her life, the sullied reputation, the agony of being Jesus mother. She would watch Him grow and become a man and be present as He lived and died for the sins of the world. Heavy stuff.

I complain because I don't get the paycheck I want or the recognition I think I deserve. If I had been presented with this same "gift" would I have been as eager to accept as Mary was? Yet, God has chosen me to do His will with the life that He has called me to and I stumble and fall every day under the burden of it. Its what He requires, a life sacrificed for Him, for His purposes, for His glory, not my own. Not my plans, but His, not my will but His. Lord, give me the grace to live for You, not myself, for others and not just my own comfort.

Comments

Popular Posts