Sacred Marriage


Seems like everybody's reading this book. I read it after it was recommended to me and I'm so glad I picked it up. A little skeptical at first glance, being that I've read just about every book known to bookstores about marriage, but I was pleasantly surprised. It never fails to amaze me how I get to the point of prideful resignation on a topic thinking that I've learned all there is and then God shows me more. And He's polite about it. "Here, Amber, read this book. It might help."

The author, Gary Thomas, dares to provoke us by stating that maybe marriage isn't about our happiness but about our holiness. That explains a lot. Those things that even after almost 17 years of marriage, I just get so irritated about, they are pushing me closer to God, not further from my husband. Once more, look at my inconsistencies, not my spouse's. My sins, not his. How can I better serve my family, not my own devices. Marriage isn't so much about finding the one who will make me happy, but the one that I can make happy. Service to others is service to God and He loves me so much that He will use any instrument at his disposal to draw me closer to His presence and likeness.

Comments

Popular Posts