Pioneers

For those readers who don't already know this, my husband and I are in the process of planting a new church. This has been probably the greatest undertaking we have proceeded willingly into as a couple. Note that I said willingly. The process actually began in our hearts a few years ago and initially presented itself as a deep seated dissatisfaction with the status quo. The two of us have always swam against the current, individually and as a couple. Even in our marriage when presented with struggles, there were times we fought strictly to avoid becoming a statistic. I really like that about us. Maybe you think I'm being a little prideful in that statement but that's alright.

We have identified ourselves as pioneers, trailblazers if you will. Our life motto might be best reflected with the immortal words of Captain James T. Kirk, "...to boldly go where no man has gone before." This is a tough calling to pull off, you know. You find yourself having a hard time finding people who understand you, most just think you're crazy. You hear things like, "It will pass, you're just going through a phase." No, no, this isn't a phase. I have been given a mandate to carry out an amazing work in my city. God called me to go out from where He will no longer allow me to be comfortable, to do a new thing. Pioneers live in covered wagons, and tents, and caves. They are nomads searching for the promised land. They fill the pages of our history books. The Bible is full of them, Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, even David. That's not crazy, that's God-inspired movement into a new realm. Ushering in the things of His kingdom even when people don't see what He's doing and they call you a troublemaker. Paul understood this.
Acts 18:9-11 One night the Master spoke to Paul in a dream: "Keep it up, and don't let anyone intimidate or silence you. No matter what happens, I'm with you and no one is going to be able to hurt you. You have no idea how many people I have on my side in this city." That was all he needed to stick it out. He stayed another year and a half, faithfully teaching the Word of God to the Corinthians.
You know sometimes all you've got is God on your side, but that's more than enough to get the job done.

Comments

Popular Posts